Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wall Collages: Where the heck to start?!

Wall Decor; a task some may feel is daunting while others go to school and do it for a living. I am somewhere in the middle, sometimes I find it fun and other times I get in a rut.
With the new move, it's safe to say I have hung more pictures and used enough nails and screws to fill the Grand Canyon. I feel warming up your walls with things that represent you and your family can help turn a rental house into a home. 
Wall collages can be a fun way to dress up a room and make it feel very custom and unique. 

Here's how I start:
Excuse my mother in law, husband, and bulldogs, but here is the house we moved into. It's a very nice room with actual color on the walls (coming from a sterile white town home), and has a nice huge wall to the left of the fireplace, that also acts like a hallway, which needs to stay clear of bulky furniture, but needs a little color and life.

Here is the finished project:
For a big wall like this, which can take a lot of art, I start with a larger painting or art piece that I want to showcase. It's easier to start with a big piece and "frame" it in a way. Use different shapes, textures, and nothing has to "match," it's all about BALANCE.

1. Hang a large piece of art somewhat centered.
2. Start hanging above either a sequence of a few small pieces, or a distinct middle "crown" as I did here using the wreath. 
3. Start filling in, using similar shaped items I filled in the areas on either side of the crown piece and worked my way down.
4. Arrange pieces on the floor that are too similar to put next to each other, but will be good to balance out both sides, such as the "circle" type objects. I used the basket on one side and the circle frame on the alternate side.
5. Use more than just art work; a wreath, wooden letter, shelf with layered smaller frames, this adds depth and interest.
6. Don't try to "line up" everything, staggering is a lot easier and it looks more organic. Try it in a few different places (find a nice friend to lower and raise it for you), until you think it's just right. *I usually line up the next picture somewhere in the midpoint of the last hung picture. (So hang a picture, put the next picture to be hung directly next to it and scoot it half way down the previously hung pictures frame.. If that makes sense..)

*TIP: make your own pieces to fill space!!
You don't have to be an artist to buy a pre primed canvas at the craft store and take stick on letters or a sharpie to it, many of my pieces here I did just that!! I also incorporated some of my younger sisters art work, when framed properly and hung with more adult decor of the same color scheme, it can be showcased right in the living room!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment